Saturday, October 5, 2013

New Zealand Hunting Trifecta Complete!!

Today I completed my NZ hunting trifecta. With the collection of a Chamois. Red Deer, Himalayan Tahr, and Chamois make up the 3 big game species to hunt here. For the past month or so I've been up on the mountain at every available opportunity trying to bag one. I've come close a few times but today succeeded. I took a different approach today than I've taken the past few times really getting high up on the mountain first trying to get above them. And it worked. They live up in the really high cliffy, really rough terrain. You can kinda tell in the first photo what it's like. I got snuck up on four and picked the buck out of the group. And with one lone shot I had my Chamois!! They're just such a beautiful animal. One thing I found really interesting is that their fur is really soft. Unlike a deer, it's much more silky. And the meat appears to be good eating. That we'll soon know. I've been asked how it compares hunting here compared to Montana Elk hunting as far as the terrain goes. Here it usually is a bit more straight up, and the vegetation is not very easy to walk through. On the plus side you're not worried about running onto a Grizzly!! The only thing that can kill you here is the weather and the terrain!! Another excellent day on the mountain for sure. Reflecting back I've been privileged to bag 2 Tahr, 2 Red Deer, 1 Wild Boar, and now 1 Chamois. Wow!! I never imagined I'd get to do so much.

1 comment:

  1. This trip is SO much fun to follow! I am losing track of time though. When are you supposed to come to the US? Don called me today and as we were chatting he asked if I had heard from you. Drop him a line if you can - I think he's following this blog. Great to see your life there Seth. What a year!

    ReplyDelete