Friday, September 13, 2013

Shadow Hunter

It's been a real interesting week. The weather has been up and down a bunch. Last Wednesday we had a major wind storm with 60-80 mph gusts. It blew down lots of trees and power was out over most of Canterbury. We were without power here for a little over 24 hours. Then major thunderstorms followed. Over 3 inches of rain in 24 hours and some really wicked lightning. The shearers got finished on Wednesday right as the storm was at its peak. They finished the last 200 or so sheep on generator power running the shearing machines. 5000 shorn, 5000 yet to go. The next round won't start for about a month.

Yesterday I got to break away for a afternoon hunt. There are a couple of small valleys right above headquarters here that I've suspected held some deer. My hunch proved correct. I got onto 6 Red Deer "Hinds" (females). After watching them for a good 20 minutes come ever nearer I finally had to shoot one before they bumped into me hiding in the shadows. I shot a nice fat yearling at a whopping 15 yards away. Needless to say it was a one-shot kill! Should be really great eating. I haven't been able to find a stag, and they will be dropping their antlers about now anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment